Friday, February 24, 2012

Untitled Flute Project

I used to play the flute.  I loved it.  I was very serious about it.  I ate, lived and breathed the flute. I started in 8th grade, majored in music in college, and received a music degree in 1997.  My dream was to be an orchestral flutist.  As sometimes happens, though, fear got in the way, and I decided to switch course during my last year in music school and take pre-med classes.  After graduation, I stopped playing, and, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm now a practicing physician.

Over the past decade and a half, I've realized many times that I will never be as passionate about medicine as I was about music.  To me, a fluteless life is a dull one, and I don't want to live fluteless anymore.  So, in Julie and Julia fashion, I've come up with a project.  I don't have a catchy name right now, but it will come to me.  Until then, I am beginning the Untitled Flute Project.

I plan to purchase a flute (I sold mine to help pay off debt), practice daily, start taking lessons and play in a community orchestra.  I live in DC, and the North Atlantic Flute Association is holding an adult amateur competition in February 2013.  I will enter that competition.  I want to WIN that competition.

I will endeavor to journal my practice daily, and I will (if I can figure out how) post clips of my practice from time-to-time.  It will be hard, it won't be pretty, but it will be -- gratifying.  So, from DC to your corner of the world, I give you the beginning of the next year of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment